Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Unexpected

One of my hobbies is to try to reunite old photographs with living descendants.  Whether in an antique show, flea market, or garage sale, I always seek out old photos.  If I find any with enough identifying information and the price isn't too high, I'll buy them and take them home to begin my genealogical sleuthing.

Recently, I attended the Florida Antiquarian Book Fair in St. Petersburg.  I wasn't expecting to find any vintage photos there, but was pleasantly surprised to find the exhibit hall full of all kinds of ephemera--not just books!

Anyway, I bought a handful of old photos, including the one pictured above.  It appealed to me because it was taken in Florida.  The reverse states it is "J.H. Cooper and Family, Antioch, Florida."

It did not take me long to identify the couple, as they pop up regularly in census enumerations and have findagrave memorials.  They were James H. Cooper and his first wife Frances, taken about 1900.  I believe the two children are Johnnie and Olive.

The unexpected surprise was Frances's maiden name: JERNIGAN.  This is one of my direct Florida pioneer lines.  It did not take me long to identify Frances (1857-1912) as my second cousin five times removed.  She was a daughter of Elias Jernigan, granddaughter of Isaac Jernigan, and great-granddaughter of Martha (Deas) Jernigan, the earliest known member of my family to live in Central Florida.

So, this little gem has already been reunited with a living family member!

#52Ancestors

No comments:

Post a Comment