Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Close to Home

When I moved into my current home in the College Park section of Orlando back in 2008, I knew it had been the last residence of my great aunt Agnes (Morgan) Newell.  

In the years since, I have discovered several other relatives lived in other homes that are within easy walking distance.

My great uncle Frank Cox and his wife Jane lived in this house on Westmoreland Drive.  He was a veteran of the First World War, and worked as an Orlando city fireman.

My great great grandmother Lola (Blakesley) Morgan rented this bungalow at 811 West Harvard Street in the 1930s.

During the Second World War, she lived in this little house at 610 West Princeton Street.  Currently, it is in the shadow of the Wellesley condo tower, and likely will not be around much longer as development encroaches.

My great aunt Lola (Morgan) Newell lived in this cottage at 529 Clayton Street in the 1920s.  Her husband Harold worked as a mechanc for Doctor Phillips, the biggest citrus grower in Central Florida.

My great aunt Agnes Morgan married Arthur Newell in this newly-constructed home at 1 East Princeton Street in 1925.  (They met while working downtown as tellers in the same bank!)  Arthur went on to serve as Clerk of the Circuit Court for many years, so you can find his name on almost all of the old official records from the 1930s until the 1960s.

I have also discovered my great grandparents William and Sarah (Cox) Morgan had plans to build a home in College Park, but ultimately sold the lot here to build one in Muriel Terrace (now known as "SoDo") because it was closer to his job at the branch post office.  I have the deed records for the College Park lot, but cannot pinpoint its exact location because that section was demolished during construction of Interstate 4 . . .

Anyway, it's nice to spot pieces of my family history every day as I drive around this little corner of Orlando.

#52Ancestors







No comments:

Post a Comment